Thursday, March 27, 2014

See ya

Sometimes you know when it’s time to break a new trail for yourself.  I felt like that when I tried to get out of Chicago the first time, in 1982.  I got as far as Palisades State Park, near Garretson, South Dakota, on a bicycle.  Gravity pulled me back to Chicago for another three years, when a way to make a living in Minnesota found me.

The current situation is nothing like that, and I’m not following a dream so much as being evicted.  Prudery and fear make a potent combination, and my opinions have been declared hazardous to the wealth of the corporation, so the Chico News & Review will no longer publish From the Edge, which can now be found right here—please, pass the word.

I remember saying many years ago that I wanted to sell my thoughts.  I didn’t know then what that meant, and yet writing a column has obviously let me do exactly that.  Boy, am I ever grateful.  I’ve been reading some of the old ones, and they often still make me laugh, which is as good as it gets.

When Tom Gascoyne asked me in ’05 if I’d be interested in writing a monthly column, I said no, although I would do one biweekly, because that way I thought I might be able to build a readership.  That’s what happened, and for over a year From the Edge alternated with Carey Wilson's Culture Vulture.  When The Culture Vulture was plucked, I started writing every week and have mostly kept at it since.  I came to loathe that relentless deadline, although it keeps me limber and I plan to continue writing weeklyish.  I’ll also keep doing commentary on KZFR.

I’ve been fired several times, and this time wasn’t bad.  I once announced my departure over the company public address system, which pleased me no end and yet can’t hold a candle to being able to say goodbye to you like this.  The last few years have been hard for me and my family, and I deeply appreciate the compassion and generosity my readers and listeners have shown to us.

What I’ll miss most is the occasional Gentle Reader politely introducing yourself and letting me know that you appreciate what I’m trying to do, even when I’m not sure what that is.  I like that, and without my mug in the paper every week I expect that’ll taper off.

I've lost a big chunk of income, and I'd appreciate you subscribing to this with the PayPal button above.  Anyway, thank you for your attention and please tell your friends and neighbors where I am.  Namaste.

4 comments:

  1. This is such a Chico thing. It seems as if the community is afraid of frankness and ought to be punched in the face by it more often. Your column is the only thing that has kept me a loyal reader of the Chico News and Review. I would like to know whose feathers were irrevocably ruffled, so that I might pluck em. Shame on the CN&R! I will pick it up no longer, unless I am needing to start a fire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't be needing to defend my opinion of the masses in the corporate Community either, so whoever wants to blast me...go ahead.

      Delete
  2. Keep writing... we're out here reading! I just subscribed and I am hoping a lot of others do, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even the yokels in Kalamazoo support you!
    Love ya!
    Al and Donna

    ReplyDelete